Our Master's program is open to well-qualified students with a substantial background as described below.
The formal requirement for the English Master’s program Applied Mathematics is a first university degree. Any individual who successfully completed the Bachelor course of study in mathematics at RWTH Aachen University already fulfills the requirement concerning the mathematical knowledge. The following admission requirements apply to all other interested individuals:
Applicants for the Master's course should be able to submit proof of knowledge in the following areas:
- Analysis with at least 24 CP
- Linear algebra with at least 18 CP
- Numerical analysis with at least 9 CP
- Stochastics with at least 9 CP
- Additional courses with at least 27 CP from the areas of
- Algebra or computer algebra
- Complex analysis
- Ordinary differential equations
- Functional analysis
- Number theory
- Mathematical logic
Beside this a sufficient proficiency in English will be necessary, since the course language will be English. For the application it will be required to provide evidence for English language skills.
For more detailed information, please have a look at the website of the Department of Mathematics and also at the examination regulations §2 and §3. Examination regulations are only published in German as they are legally binding.
Under certain circumstances it is possible to catch up on some modules. You will then be required to take certain additional examinations during your studies ("Auflagen"). In the following, the professors responsible for the respective areas are listed. By default, the professor who is currently teaching the class will overview the exam.
- Analysis I - III: Prof. Dr. Hartmut Führ
- Linear algebra I - II: Prof. Dr. Ghislain Fourier, Prof. Dr. Gabriele Nebe, Prof. Dr. Alice Niemeyer, Prof. Dr. Eva Zerz and Prof. Dr. Gerhard Hiß
- Numerical analysis I - II: Prof. Dr. Lars Grasedyck, Prof. Dr. Sebastian Noelle and Prof. Dr. Benjamin Stamm
- Stochastics: Prof. Dr. Erhard Cramer, Prof. Dr. Udo Kamps, Prof. Dr. Maria Kateri and Prof. Dr. Ansgar Steland
How to Apply
- International and EU applications are submitted via the RWTHonline application portal. For detailed instructions please have a look at the website for international application from the RWTH Aachen University.
- German citizens and degree holders of a German Bachelor will find more information on the application procedure here.
For further details and help, please contact the division 2.1 for admissions and social affairs and especially the responsible official for Faculty 1.